Monday, October 26, 2009

M.E Office visit....

Tuesday’s visit to the medical examiner’s office was a bit of an eye opener for me. Literally … I never thought I would see someone’s eye lain out on a counter. I really learned a lot of different things that I did not know before visiting the M.E, and I certainly won’t forget it for a long time.

Dr. Adams is an extremely smart individual, and it was an honor for him to show us around his new facility. Without people like Dr. Adams in the world, people who can deal with death in such a professional way, I would really be afraid of death.

Dr. Adams started our tour by showing us the documents room. Here thousands of files line the wall with brightly colored labels to differentiate between the different types of death. Homicides and traffic accidents are just a few of the types of death that are in this archive.

I was very impressed by the measures taken by Mr. Adams to ensure a happy healthy working environment for everyone that works at the M.E. He made sure to have plenty of windows in the office area for all the employees working at cubicles. He also installed a super ventilation system for the chemical area to make sure no odors or fumes stick around for the doctors to breath in.

The morgue was by are the most interesting part of the tour. This is where I saw my first dead body, besides family members who died of old age. Since I work in the food industry, the entire morgue reminded me of a industrial kitchen, with all the stainless steel and the pots and pans and sinks everywhere.

Dr. Adams was a very professional man, and to be honest, half of the medical terms he talked about when right over my head, but from what I could understand; the M.E’s office is defiantly there to help the family members of the dead to figure out what happened. With them, they are able to further their knowledge and information for medical purposes to hopefully one day help us all live a little bit longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment