Tuesday, October 6, 2009

William March Visit

Last Thursday our class was lucky to have William March, who is the Tampa Tribune's chief political reporter, pay us a visit. And if I ever thought that I wanted to every MIGHT report in politics, I am not certain, I will NEVER DO SO!

It takes a certain type of person to be able to reporter and interview and deal with politicians, and I have come to the conclusion that I am not that type of person; and Mr. March was able to open my eyes to that.

Mr. March took the class period to walk us through how he goes about finding out information on candidate spending, and fundraising. He offered us great resources that included opensecrets.org and leg.state.fl.us. With these sites, we learned how to track politcal spending and how much each candidate profits from big time companies who donate to them. He told us how often policical laundering happened, and how stupid political canidates can get to think that they will never get caught. I was very impressed by how much Mr. March has a passion for what he does, and the fact that he took the time to answer and comment to all of our comments were very nice.

No offense to Mr. March, but I personaly can't stand the way of politcs and the deap down evilness that comes with it. Yes these people are all out for the same thing "we hope anyway"..to help the public and serve the people...but these people are willing to do ANYTHING to get there, which is why I just do not pay attention to it. I vote because that it my public duty; to vote for who I think lied the least, and will do his or her best job.

I grew up in Washington D.C., my father was a police officer and worked directly with the presidental staff for President George Bush Sr. So needless to say, poltics have always surrounded me, and I just have never caught onto it. and I really apprecitate everything Mr. March was able to teach us, but politics is not for me now..and will never be.

No comments:

Post a Comment